Monday, August 3, 2009

IF - Modify


For the Illustration Friday challenge this week I decided to post a watercolor sketch that I did a few years back of a darling little plant affectionately known as "my buddy spuddy." Spuddy started off as an ordinary, garden variety sweet potato that was MODIFIED into the happy-go-lucky character seen here. First he was placed in a pot of water until he sprouted greenery and one tiny hair on the top of his head. Then he just cried out for a pair of googly eyes to really develop his humorous persona. Additional modifications included an oh-so-sweet pair of sunglasses and a bright yellow hand which were both found objects that fit him perfectly. Spuddy was the ideal office mate until we were forced to part ways when he got old, shriveled, and started to stink.

Luckily I captured his spirit in a couple of photos and the sketch above before his unfortunate demise. I've included a photo here just to prove I'm not making this stuff up.

Does anyone else out there besides me feel the need to modify inanimate objects with googly eyes or other accoutrements?

8 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Heh, great narrative and character.

lori vliegen said...

oh yes....every good artist always has a spare pair of googly eyes on hand, just for such "spuddy-type" emergencies! hee hee.....he's adorable, and you captured his whimsical nature beautifully in your watercolor! :)

Pat said...

Lori...I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a stash of googly eyes at the ready and a goofy sense of humor to go with them.

Art Fan Ako said...

Watercolor came out pretty!

Anwar said...

The illustration is great, but the photo is hilarious! I'd like to have a spare pair of googly eyes. Great job!

Indigene said...

This is so cool! I love the illustration and the photo is hilarious!

ABrushWithHumor said...

Love it! I'm going to put jiggle eyes on my running shoes - maybe if they stare at me long enough I'll feel guilty and go for a jog LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh, he's cute, in both representations. That makes it all the sadder that he has now gone to the big potato patch (do potatoes come from patches?) in the sky.